Due to the globalisation of the textile industry, a common approach was needed from the then leading standard setters in the niche market of organic textiles, as the variety of distinct standards caused confusion among producers and consumers equally. The implementation of GOTS reconciles the need of the textile industry for one global standard with consumers' need for transparency. FOURSOURCE verifies certificates issued by GOTS.
What is GOTS?
GOTS is a world wide standard for textiles made from organic fibres. The entities participating in the certification system include processing, manufacturing, as well as trading companies of the entire textile supply chain ranging from small-scale units up to the largest vertically integrated enterprises.
The standard stipulates requirements for both ecology and labour conditions in textile and apparel manufacturing using organically produced raw materials throughout the supply chain. Organic production is based on a system of farming that maintains and replenishes soil fertility without the use of toxic, persistent pesticides and fertilizers. In addition, organic production relies on adequate animal husbandry and excludes genetic modification.
Label-grade 1: “organic”
- ≥ 95% certified organic fibres, ≤ 5 % non-organic natural or synthetic fibres
Label-grade 2: “made with X% organic”
- ≥ 70% certified organic fibres, ≤ 30 % non-organic fibres, but a maximum of 10% synthetic fibres (respective 25% for socks, leggings and sportswear), as long as the raw materials used are not from certified organic origin, a sustainable forestry management program or recycle
Searching for a clothing manufacturer with GOTS certificate?
- Access the world’s largest network of verified garment manufacturers
- Select from 10.000s of detailed company profiles with comparable and trusted information
- Identify who fits best with our unique search and matching logic, such as country, MOQ or product group
- Filter for certificates and focus on those factories that really matter